Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Portobello Mushroom Burgers and Herb Roasted Potatoes

Morning Star portabella burgers are great when you are in a rush or when you are going to a BBQ and just need something to be thrown on the grill.  However, when I think veggie burger, I think about actually vegetables.  Shocking, right?

I love making these delicious "burgers".  You can make them in the house on a grill pan or a Forman grill or you can grill them on an actual grill.  These burgers are fresh, filling and delicious.  I always feel pleasantly full without feeling glutenous after eating one of these.


Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Ingredients:
2 portabollo mushroom caps (one for each burger)- stems removed and washed well
1 large red bell pepper
1 small zucchini
1 small onion (I used white this time, but red is equally delicious)
3 tablespoons of tamari (or soy sauce)
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
Black pepper to taste

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.  Grab two pieces of tin foil and place one of your portobello caps, stem side up, on each.  Add 1 tablespoon of tamari and 1 teaspoon of red pepper to each. Close the foil well so they don't leak and throw in the oven for about 10 minutes on each side.  This allows the mushrooms to cook nicely before you brown them in the grill pan.  If you are cooking on an actual grill, you can put the foil wrapped portabollos on the grill and close the top.

While the portabollos are cooking, cut up your other veggies.  Remove the top and bottom of the red bell pepper and cut it into fourths.  Cut the onion in1/4 inch thick slices and cut the zucchini into thin pieces.  The best way to cut the top and bottom off of the zucchini and the cut in half.  Then take the two halves and cut them lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick pieces.  Rub all of the veggies in tamari and sprinkle with pepper.

On the Forman grill (or actual grill or grill pan), grill all of the veggies until they start to brown on both sides.  I baste them with tamari through this process.  When the veggies are cooked, but still firm, remove them from the grill and put them on a separate plate.  Then removed the portabollos from the foil and throw them on the grill until they brown nicely.  Since they are already cooked, this will be quick.  Brown both sides.


Toast your buns and then it is time to start assembling.  You can do this in any order you want, but I have the keeping the portabollo on the bottom is best for stabilizing the burger.  I did the portabollo then the onions then the zucchini and finally the red peppers.  I then cut my sandwiches in half to make them easier to eat.


Oven Roasted Herb Potatoes
Ingredients:
6 medium sized potatoes, skin on but washed well
3 tablespoons of EVOO
2 tablespoons of thyme
3 tablespoons of minced onion
1 tablespoons of smoke paprika
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste

I will preface this by saying that I have a love hate relationship with my mandolin.  I love that it makes perfectly sliced potatoes that are identical in thickness.  I love that I can julienne veggies with ease and that I can do all of this with ease.  But I hate that I have only used the mandolin twice without hurting myself, EVER.  So be careful if you go this route and always use the hand guard.

I used the mandolin to make 1/4 inch thick potato slices.  Add them to a ziploc bag with all of the other ingredients and shake well,  coating all of the potatoes evenly.

Spread them in a layer on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 25 minutes, turning them twice.  Finish them by turning the oven to broil for about 5 minutes to give them a nice brown color.

No comments:

Post a Comment