Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Raw Broccoli Pesto

I love pesto...'nuff said.  But I also love to try to make pesto from things other than basil.  I have made arugula pesto, kale pesto, and now this broccoli pesto which turned out even better than I imagined.  This is a great way to get a serving of vegetables and this recipe is low-fat and vegan.  Win win!

You can serve it standard over pasta or as a dip.  I did both.  I ate if for dinner of pasta and then used it as a dip on the ferry over to Nantucket with eggplant chips and cut up veggies.  It was delicious both ways and people really like it!

Raw Broccoli Pesto
Ingredients:
3/4 cup of toasted nuts (I used a 50/50 combination of raw cashews and almonds)
2 cups of broccoli florets, rinsed well (you could blanch them, but why bother?)
1/4 cup of fresh parsley (I used Italian flat leaf)
1/3 cup of EVOO
Juice of 1 lemon plus the zest of the lemon (I zested first then juiced)
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup of vegan Parmesan
1 teaspoon of red pepper
1 teaspoon of smoke paprika
1 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of rosemary
1 tablespoon of thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop the nuts coarsely and toast them 3-5 minutes in a skillet or until golden brown, but don't let them burn!  Toss all your ingredients in the food processor (minus the oil) and pulse.  Gradually add in the EVOO until you get the consistency right.  Taste throughout and check your spices.  I ended up adding a little more salt and pepper as I went. 

It's that simple and oh so delicious.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment