Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Enchiladas

Ok, let me preface this by saying that this is not one of my healthier meals, but it is delicious nonetheless.  I have struggled to find a vegan enchilada sauce that I like, so this time I decided to try to make my own.  I have to say that it turned out pretty damn good.  I hope you like it as much as me.


Vegan Enchiladas
Ingredients:
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 cup of green beans, diced
1/2 cup of frozen corn, thawed
1 tablespoon of diced garlic
1/2 cup of Smart Grounds (vegan ground "beef")
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon of Latin seasoning (homemade: Cumin, oregano, sweet paprika)
2 medium tortillas
1/2 cup of Daiya (I used the jack cheese mixture)
1/2 cup of avocado, diced
1/2 cup of tomato diced

Enchilada Sauce:
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons chickpea flour 
2 tablespoons homemade Latin seasoning
2 cups water
6 ounces tomato paste (that's one of the small cans)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Brown all of your enchilada ingredients in a saute pan (minus the avocado, tomato and Daiya) and add the Latin seasoning.  Add the beans at the very end and cook for another 5 minutes.  Watch that it doesn't burn and stir often.

Scoop about one cup of your mixture onto the the tortillas in a strip down the middle with some of the Daiya.  Close the enchiladas and put them into a baking dish seam side down.

Now make your enchilada sauce. Heat oil, flour and Latin seasoning in a large pot over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add water and tomato paste, dissolving tomato paste in water. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring regularly.

When your enchilada sauce is done, spoon it over your enchiladas and the sprinkle the Daiya on top.  Back for 25 minutes.  Once your enchiladas are done, plate them and then sprinkle your fresh avocado and tomatoes on top.  Serve with some tortilla chips and you are good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment