Sunday, May 29, 2011

Standard Hummus

The Veganomicon said it best when they said that hummus is to vegans as air is to most other human beings.  I use it on everything from sandwiches to a dip for veggies to a good heap on a salad.  I have tried to master this recipe for so long and at long last I have a hummus recipe that, to me, is as a good as you would get in a restaurant.  The key to hummus is the consistency and I feel like this recipe nails it.


Basic Hummus
Ingredients:
1 15 oz can of chickpeas
2 tablespoons of tahini
Juice from 2 lemons
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of water
Smoked paprika to taste
3 tablespoons of EVOO


I am usually the one to preach about using dry beans and chickpeas.  In general, I find them to have better taste and they don't contain all the oil the canned beans come with.  With that said, I have come to learn that using canned chickpeas is important for making a good hummus.  With that said, make sure you rinse them really well to get most of the oil off.


I am also a woman who swears by my food processor, but for hummus, this kitchen device falls short.  Use a blender, it's worth it!


Start by taking half of your chickpeas and 1 tablespoon of the EVOO and put them in the blender.  Blend them on the grind setting until you have a chunky consistency.  Then add all of the remaining ingredients, except the water.  Blend again on grind for a bit until it starts too look smooth.  You will start to notice it looking a bit dry, add some of the water and a bit more salt and smoked paprika.  Switch to the liquify setting.  Let it process for a bit and add the water a little bit at a time.  once all of the water is absorbed, you are done!  Delicious.  I like to put it in the fridge so it is nice and cool before serving.


You can make so many variations of this.  Sometimes I roast red peppers and put them in or chives or even zaatar seasoning.  Have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment