Monday, July 25, 2011

Revitalive: A Holistic Approach to Food and Wellness

Today we took our bikes and headed to Newburyport.  The goals of our trip were to take in amazing scenery and to check out Revitalive, a raw food cafe.  While Revitalive is new to me, they have actually been around for three and a half years and are well known in the community.  In addition to the cafe that I visited, they also have a wellness center which offers a variety of services from vegan detoxes to nutritional consultations to pilates.  They take a holistic approach to health and wellness.
They had me at their mission which is to empower people to heal themselves through raw and living foods education.  Owners Anna Forkan and Kristen Overlock definitely have the credentials to back up their mission.  Kristen has a BS in Nutrition from Penn State and has been helping clients achieve health goals for the last 15 years.  Anna, a trained engineer, has worked at the Ann Wigmore Natural Health Institute. I got a chance to meet them both and to hear how living a raw lifestyle has changed their lives.  It was inspiring to say the least.
When I rode up to the Tannery, Revitalive's second location, I was pleased to see a booming farmer's market.  It was great to walk around and see the local farmers and I even bought some vegan treats including a chilled black bean soup.  When you walk into Rivatlive's cafe there are shelves of amazing treats from kale chips to raw granola.  I was pretty sure I walked into a little piece of heaven.
The menu is amazing and I had a hard time deciding what to get.  At Anna's recommendation, I went with the Mexi Bowl which included quinoa, avocado and "refried beans".  Oh my goodness was this delicious!  It was filling but light and totally tasty.
I then had the cookies and cream smoothie and a cookie dough dessert.  I also took another dessert home.  The shake is amazing, with a distinct taste of banana and cacao.  The cookie dough ball had a delicious chocolaty center.  At this point, I was sold.  This place is great!


The icing on the cake--they deliver to Boston!  I cannot wait to visit Revitalive again and try even more of their amazing menu.  I also really want to try their 3 day cleanse which sounds so healthy and refreshing.
I love everything about this place from the owners to the storefront.  It is worth making the trip to Newburyport, this is one of the best vegan places I have been two and I absolutely adore their  mission and owners.  If you can't make it to Newburyport, have them deliver or check them out at the Boston Local Food Festival on Saturday, October 1, 2011 along the Boston Waterfront in Fort Point Channel.


Revitalive Cafe is located in the The Tannery, 50 Water Street, Newburyport, MA.  Their other location for services is located at 21 Pleasant Street in Newburyport.  

No comments:

Post a Comment