Sunday, July 17, 2011

Watermelon Picnic

Today my friends and I decided to have a watermelon picnic at the pool.  The point was for each person to bring one watermelon dish to share.  Amy brought a watermelon and cucumber salad with feta in a creamy dressing.  Melissa brought an amazing, vegan water melon gazpacho which had just the right amount of kick.  It was off the hook and I will definitely be getting that recipe!


I brought two dishes.  The first was skewers of watermelon, basil and cherrytomatoes.  I used cookie cutters to cute the watermelon into small stars and hearts.  I threaded them on to the skewers.  I made a light balsamic sauce which I drizzled over them with a little EVOO and sea salt.  Here is how I made the balsamic sauce:


1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of sugar  


Mix the vinegar and sugar on low heat until all of the sugar is dissolved.  It is that simple!


I also made grilled watermelon, which was more awesome than I could have imagined.  I used a grill pan which I sprayed with oil and then placed the watermelon on medium/high heat.  I cooked for about 4 minutes on each side and then salted it well and drizzled just a little bit of the balsamic sauce over the top.  YUM!


I just love summer and watermelon!

No comments:

Post a Comment