Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Open-Faced Veggie Tacos

Last night I whipped up these open-faced tacos which turned out even better than I hoped.  Perfect for a quick and fresh meal during the week.
Open-Faced Veggie Tacos
Ingredients (for 2 tacos):
2 soft corn tortillas
1/2 can of black beans, rinsed and drained well
1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1/2 summer squash, cut into matchsticks
2 gloves of garlic, minced
3 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, cut into thin pieces (take out the seeds if you want less hear)
1 avocado, cubed
A few pinches of smoked paprika
Fresh salsa for serving (2 tomatoes, 1 small red onion, cilantro, lemon, and lime)
1 ear of corn, roasted and removed from the cobb
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers, defrosted and cut into 1 inch chunks
So this actually ended up making 3+ servings which was fine by mean because it meant that I got to have leftovers for lunch!  I started by roasting the corn in a 400 degree oven while I prepared my salsa.  I diced two Roma tomatoes, 1 red onion and 1 jalapeno.  I added salt, pepper, lime, lemon and cilantro and tossed well.  I let this rest in the fridge so that the flavors would come together.  I turned my corn a few times and moved over to the avocado.  I put the avocado chunks in a bowl and added salt, pepper, lemon and lime and mashed well and set it in the fridge.

I then removed my corn from the oven and cut it off the cobb.  I placed in in the fridge to cool.  I took my rinsed and drained black beans and placed them in a small pot with salt, pepper, lemon, lime, cilantro and some smoked paprika.  I let this simmer on low while I cut up my veggies.
I then sprayed my grill pan with non-stick spray and added all of my veggies, remaining jalapeno, garlic, some salt and pepper and lime juice.  I let these cook up for a few minutes and then added my cut up black bean burger and cooked for about another 3-4 minutes, until everything was browned.  While your veggies are browning, take your corn tortillas and place them in the oven for about 1-2 minutes until they start to puff up.

You are now ready to assemble your taco!  Place your warm taco shell on a plate and spoon on some black beans.  Next add your veggie/black bean burger mixture.
You then want to add your corn and fresh salsa (aka pico de gallo).
Top it off with some of the mashed avocado and you are good to go.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment