Monday, August 22, 2011

Spicy Vegan Gazpacho

I love soup.  If I could, I would probably eat it for every meal.  When summer comes around I feel like soup disappears from diet just because it is too friggin hot to eat it!  No more!  I ventured to make a cold, spicy gazpacho that doesn't use a ton of oil.  The result, in my opinion, is epic.  Summer soup, I heart you like whoa!

Spicy Vegan Gazpacho
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of low sodium V8

  • 4 large vine ripe tomatoes, quartered and peeled

  • 1 peeled, seeded, diced cucumber

  • 1 medium red onion, diced

  • 1/2 cup chopped celery

  • 1 chopped bell pepper (I actually did one 1/2 red and 1/2 green)

  • 2 cloves minced garlic

  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

  • 1 Serrano pepper, seeds and chopped fine

  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice

  • 2 teaspoons lime juice

  • 1 tablespoon EVOO

  • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil

  • 1 teaspoon of cumin

  • 1 teaspoon of smoke paprika

  • 1/4 fresh corn


  • Ah serranos, I have a love hate relationship with these little fiery pieces of awesomeness.  While at Haymarket last weekend I saw some and had to grab one.  The guy at the market gave it to me for free...hmmmm, that should have been a sign of that this baby was hot!

    Start by turning your oven to broil.  After you have peeled and quartered your tomatoes, but them on a broil pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Put them under the broiler for a good 6-8 minutes until they are slightly charred on the outside.  You may want to leave your oven door open because they do get a little smokey.  That's exactly what you want- smokey taste.

    While your tomatoes are cooking, dice all your other veggies and toss them in a large bowl.  Once your tomatoes are done, add them to the mix and add all your spices and EVOO.  Combine well. 

    Take half of your ingredients and put them in the food processor and process until they are smooth.  Put them back in the bowl with the other ingredients and mix well again.  Chill and serve.  I let this chill for about 2 hours. 
    Perfect way to curb my craving for soup in the summer!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment