Monday, August 22, 2011

Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake- You heard me right!


I love cheesecake.  There I said and I am proud to say that I think I finally have a good recipe for a vegan cheesecake.  Oh yes, it's possible and it's fabulous.  I imagine taking this recipe and using it to make other vegan cheesecakes varieties as well- pumpkin? maybe chocolate?  Oh the possibilities. 

Strawberry Not So Cheesy Cheesecake
Ingredients:
  • 1 quart of fresh strawberries, quartered
  • 12 ounces light firm silken tofu
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 tub of Tofutti cream cheese
  • Vegan pie crust (I got a graham cracker one at Trader Joe's)
Preheat your oven to 360 degrees.  Add all of the other ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth.  Stop the processor a few times and be sure to scrap the sides so you don't get any chunks.  You also want to do a taste test to make sure all the flavors are right.  I think I ended up adding a little more vanilla. 

Once your tastes are right and your ingredients are well blended, smooth the mixture carefully into the crust, heaping it slightly in the middle. Bake until the center is almost set, about 50-60 minutes. (Insert a toothpick. If it comes out liquidy, give it more time, until the center is firm.) Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 3 hours. Serve to delighted guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment