Sunday, November 28, 2010

Black Pepper Steak Tips with Rice Pilaf and Spinach

I have finally decompressed from Thanksgiving.  Tonight I wanted a delicious, but easy supper so that I could just relax.

I had purchased Vegan Black Pepper Steak Tips by Vegetarian Plus at Whole Foods and decided to give them a try.  As I may have mentioned, I am not typically a fan of faux products like fake chicken or hot dogs.  It just doesn't do it for me.  I would way rather have fresh ingredients than some faux meat.  I gave up meat for a reason, and I don't really want a substitute.  With that said, these were delicious.  They were spicy and had a nice texture.


I just threw these in a grill pan on the stove top and flipped them several times over 8 minutes.  There was also extra sauce left in the container, so I heated that up and poured on top to finish.

I served this with spinach and rice pilaf.  

Rice Pilaf

Ingredients

1/2 cup of orzo
3/4 cup of Basmati rice
2 cups of vegetable broth
3 tablespoons of Earth Balance
1 clove of garlic

I started by melting the Earth Balance in a pot and then added the orzo.  I browned the orzo for about 5 minutes until it had a golden color.


I then added the Basmati rice and garlic and sauteed for another 3 minutes.  I added a little salt and pepper at this point and then added the vegetable broth.  I turned the heat down to low and covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.



The result was this delicious meal!






No comments:

Post a Comment