Friday, November 19, 2010

Great Article in Bloomberg Businessweek

A friend recently sent me the link to this article.  It is really interesting in that it talks about how veganism has become the new power play of business moguls and athletes.  Surprisingly, most of the notable names mentioned in the article became vegan for health (or vanity) reasons while Biz Stone, Twitter's founder, appears to be one of the few who chose veganism to be compassionate.

Sadly the article states that being a vegan is expensive and that is why all these moguls do it, to flaunt their monetary muscles.  This is something that always comes up when I talk with people about being a vegan.  It is a myth that I deeply disagree with.  My grocery bill as a vegan is less than half of what it was when I still ate meet.  With that said, I don't eat a lot of "substitute products" which can get expensive.  I do go to Haymarket and spend about $20 a week on food.  Yep, you heard me right, $20.  I might spend a little more at Polcari's on grains and beans (if I am running low), but never more than an additional $10.  So don't try to tell me that being a vegan is expensive.

In any case, it is nice to see that there are a few more vegans these days...for whatever reason they chose.  I had no idea that Madonna was a vegan nor would I have ever thought that Mike Tyson (this is the man who bit off another man's ear) would be vegan.  It is encouraging nonetheless and, hopefully, will inspire others to try it too!

What about you?  Have you thought about doing a vegan day once or twice a month?  In Defense of Animals is a great resource if you are looking for more information!

The Rise of the Power Vegans

Steve Wynn, Russell Simmons, Bill Clinton and a comparable cast of heavies are now using tempeh to assert their superiority. A look at what gives

2 comments:

  1. "Have you thought about doing a vegan day once or twice a month?"

    Here is an interesting article I heard on NPR earlier this year by a food writer who, originally for health reasons, switched to a diet called "Vegan Before 6" but has also come around to many of the other reasons people choose veganism. With VB6, he reverts to his normal diet for dinner, but eats Vegan the rest of the day. This may be another alternative for people who want to try making changes to their diet but don't think they can support the full commitment.

    There are also some recipes included with the article that you might enjoy!

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103323943

    ReplyDelete