Saturday, November 13, 2010

Potato and Leek Soup and Mema's Grilled Cheese

There is nothing better on a cold day than warm soup.  One of my favorites is potato and leek soup.  It is thick and creamy and oh so filling.  Typically made with butter and cream, this recipe is easily made vegan.  It is quick and easy too!

Creamy Potato and Leek Soup


Ingredients

5 potatoes, peeled and diced (I prefer yellow potatoes because the get really creamy)
2 large leeks, light green and white parts only
2 tablespoons of EVOO
1/4 cup of dry white wine 
1 teaspoon of dry thyme
1 teaspoon of dry rosemary
2 bay leaves
6 cups of vegetable broth
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
1 cup of unflavored rice milk

Rinse the leeks and cut them in half lengthwise.  Then cut them into 1/4 inch pieces.  Coat the bottom of a large stockpot with the EVOO and add the leeks. Sweat the leeks until they are soft (about 3-5 minutes).  Then add the white wine and sweat a little longer (about another 1-2 minutes).



While the leeks are sweating, peel and dice the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.  Make sure you get all of the skin off of them so assure the soup is really smooth.  Add the potatoes to the stockpot and make sure they are coated well with the wine/EVOO mixture.  


Add the rosemary, salt, thyme, black pepper and red pepper.  Then add the stock and bay leaves and bring it all to a simmer.  Cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.  


Using an immersion blender (or a food processor), process the soup until it is smooth.  Make sure there are no chunks.  I usually run a fork through it to make sure that I have gotten all of the whole potatoes.  Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then add the rice milk and blend again.  Make sure you used unflavored rice milk.  Even if it doesn't say vanilla on it, many times rice and soy milk have added sugar.  You want to use one that does not.  Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Mema's Grilled Cheese

When I was a kid my Mema (grandmother) used to make the BEST grilled cheese.  She used this antique grilled cheese maker that made the sandwich into a round pocket of cheesy goodness.  When she passed away, I got the grilled cheese maker and when I make these sandwiches it still bring back fond memories.

Here is what the sandwich maker looks like:


You could easily make this like any other grilled cheese, but I still think this method is the yummiest!

Ingredients

2 slices of the bread of your choice (I used awesome Flaxseed and Quinoa bread from Whole Foods)
A handful of Daiya
Some fake bacon bits (Yep! Most of these are vegan)



Ok, so first things first; What is Daiya?  Let's be honest, cheese substitutes are GROSS.  The don't melt, they have no flavor and they often have the texture of cardboard.  How appetizing!  Not only that, but cheese substitutes are often made from GMO's.  Daiya is totally different.  It has a mild flavor and melts just like real cheese.  How is that possible you say?

Daiya is made of purified water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and/or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, natural flavors (derived from plants), xanthan gum, sunflower lecithin, vegan enzymes (no animal rennet or animal enzymes), vegan bacterial cultures, citric acid (for flavor), annatto.  Ain't that a mouthful?

In basic terms, daiya is a complete plant-based product made without any soy or nut products.  Therefore, it consists of no allergens.  It is good for vegans and those with gluten allergies alike!  Daiya can be bought at Whole Foods, but I get mine at Peace O' Pie- a vegan pizza place here in Boston.  I like theirs better because it is shredded a little finer.



Anyway, on to the recipe.  I coated the grilled cheese maker with a little canola oil.  I then placed one slice of bread on the bottom (I cut the bread about 1 inch thick).  I then placed half a handful of daiya and some bacon bits on top of the bread.  Then I added another half of handful of daiya on top of that and then the other slice of bread and closed the grilled cheese maker.  I then but the grilled cheese maker directly onto the burner which was set to medium heat.  I turned the grilled cheese maker every few minutes and removed it from the heat and let it cool  Voila!  You are done!





2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for that grilled cheese maker for years after my ex-wife took her grandmother's grilled cheese maker with her. At least I'm happy knowing that I'm not the only one that loves that sandwich maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I buy this grilled cheese maker?

    ReplyDelete