Sunday, November 20, 2011

Denver Adventure's: Watercourse Foods

Prior to going to Denver I did some research on vegan spots so that I could be well prepared.  I knew that I would likely have only one chance to get to a vegan place because it is hard to get non-vegans to come along.  I read Yelp reviews and decided on Watercourse Foods because of their philosophy and approach. WaterCourse Food's philosophy, is simple and accessible. They have created an atmosphere that welcomes everyone which I thought would be accommodating to my non-vegan friends.
When I got there, I was blown away and it far exceeded my expectations in terms of quality of food and atmosphere. The sign outside reads "Eat the path of least resistance".  I loved this phrase because it reminded some about my reasons for becoming vegan- eating natural, healthful foods that are not highly processed.  When you walk inside you are faced with a case of gorgeous vegan desserts.  Beautiful pies, cookies, scones, and so much more.  
There was a 30 minute wait, but it was well worth it!  The menu was fast with a southern comfort feel.  We went for brunch and I was so torn on what to get- breakfast or lunch.  Watercourse is a vegetarian establishment, but most of their base foods (and all soups, dressings, and desserts) are all vegan.  The breakfast items could be ordered with eggs and most items could have cheese added.  This made it very accommodating for my brunch companions.


After much agonizing I settled on the Blackened Caesar Wrap with soup and french fries (you get two sides with every meal!).  My wrap included blackened tofu and a fresh Caesar salad stuffed in a whole wheat tortilla with tomato and red onion and I added avocado and cucumber.  It was so incredibly delicious that I don't think I can give it justice in words.  I have had other vegan Caesar dressings and they are usually not very good.  This dressing was delicious.


The tofu was cooked to perfection and the blackened seasoning was the perfect spiciness.  The soup of the day was a tomato, curry bisque.  It was so flavorful and so amazing.  I need to figure out this recipe...more to come on that ;)
I finished my meal with a delicious chocolate chip cookie which surprisingly light and delicious.  I think that they used almond flour which made it so yummy.


I loved this place so much, and it made me sad because there is really no place like this in Boston.  The few vegan restaurants that we do have are decent, but nothing like this place.  If you ever get to Denver, check it out.  You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment