Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Roasted Tomato Quinoa Soup & Spicy Asian Peanut Slaw

When starting October Unprocessed, I began with the Revitalive 2-day Cleanse.  Part of the cleanse involved amazing soups.  My favorite was the Tomato Soup because it included quinoa which made it hearty and super healthy.  So I decided to try to replicate this.  It came out awesome and I have been eating it all this week for lunch.
Roasted Tomato Quinoa Soup
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
1/2 sweet red bell pepper, finely diced
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Savignon Blanc)

1 quart strong vegetable stock
4 lbs of tomatoes, pealed/chopped and roasted
2 bay leaf

1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of time
salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
Preheat your oven to broil and dice your tomatoes, laying them out on a baking sheet.  I used 4 lbs of roma tomatoes because I needed 1 lbs for my tortilla soup recipe as well so I figured might as well do it all at once.  You only need 3 lbs for this recipe.  Make sure you peel your tomatoes.  Douse with a little grapeseed oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper and roast.  I roasted mine in two sets.  Roast them on broil for about 10  minutes and then flip them and roast for another 10 minutes.  Set them aside and let them cool.

Sauté all vegetables with oil in a soup pot until they start to collapse and sweat. Add the wine, tomatoes, broth, and bay leaves.  Cover and simmer until veggies are tender.

In the meantime, rinse 1/2 cup of dry quinoa and strain.  Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil and a pinch of salt.  Once the water is boiling, add the quinoa and cover.  Reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.  Set aside.

Using an immersion blender, puree your soup until it is smooth.  Season with salt and pepper. You may need to add more stock if it's too thick- I added about another 1/4 cup. 
Add the quinoa a little bit at a time stirring constantly so you don't get clumps.  Once all of the quinoa has been added taste and add more pepper if needed.  You are ready to serve it up!  This is a great soup recipe and the quinoa makes it much more hearty then just plain old tomato soup.

I mentioned that I have been eating this soup every day for lunch.  I often enjoy it with some of my asian coleslaw which is light and delicious.
Spicy Asian Peanut Slaw
Ingredients:
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups Napa cabbage shredded
1 green pepper , thinly sliced
2 carrots, julienned
1/2 red onion, thinly chopped
4 green onions, chopped
3 tablespoons of smooth unsalted organic natural roasted peanut butter (I use Teddie's)
3 tablespoons of vegan ponzu
3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of ginger (Fresh is best!)
1 tablespoon of my beloved Sriracha
sesame seeds to garnish
Whisk all of the wet ingredients plus the ginger and garlic together in the bottom of a large bowl.  Mine was a little thick so I added a little bit of water to thin it out. Chill in the fridge while you make your coleslaw.
Cut up all of your coleslaw ingredients and toss together.  Add the peanut sauce and coat well.  Voila!  Delicious and quick salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment