Monday, October 3, 2011

October Unprocessed: Day Two

I think I was a little more prepared today and, therefore, was able to do a better job of eating enough.  I did meet a friend for lunch at Joe's American Grille, but it was surprisingly easy to find things to eat there.  The biggest challenge was the bread....OMG, it looked good, but I did not partake.  So far the hardest things that I am finding to stick to from my personal goals are the decreased salt intake and the increased consumption of water.  But I will keep trying ;)

Breakfast

1/2 Pita (I buy these fresh from the Middle Eastern bakery at Haymarket) stuffed with:
Cucumber
Spinach
Hummus (minus the oil plus Za'atar)

Lunch (At Joe's American Grille)

Large salad with cucumber, red onion, tomatoes and avocado with fresh squeezed lemon instead of dressing.
Baked potato- plain with just some salt and pepper

The salad was ok, but it had iceberg lettuce which I HATE.  There is absolutely no nutritional value in iceberg.  Oh well, it was the best I could do.

Dinner

Vegetable Soup
Ingredients:
3 cups of vegetable broth
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 pieces of celery, peeled and chopped
3 button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 cup of broccoli
1/2 cup of cauliflower
1/4 cup of shelled edamame
1/4 cup of dry brown rice
2 cups of water
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of rosemary

Start by preparing your brown rice.  I always toast my grains before boiling them because I feel like it gives them a better taste.  Plus, brown rice takes forever to cook and this helps speed it up.  Place your rice in a pot and toast it on medium heat, moving the grains constantly.  Do not leave this unattended as they burn easily.  Once your rice is giving off a nice aromatic smell, add your bay leaf and water.  Cover and reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes.  Check this as cook time may be less (depends on the rice).

While you are chopping your veggies, bring your broth to a boil.  Add all of your vegetables and seasonings to the pot.  Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for about 20-30 minutes until your vegetables are tender.  I usually use the carrot as my test as they take the longest to cook.

Spoon some of the brown rice into a bowl and then ladle your soup (broth and veggies) on top.  Mix it up with your spoon and enjoy!  This was quick and nourishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment